Presentation: Blockchain – An overview of the technologies to separate the hype from the reality
Speaker: Peter Linder, CISSP – Vice President Assured Enterprises Inc
Abstract: Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies have attracted increased media headlines, generating attention from the general public, the investment community, government regulators, and engineers. But there is so much hype and such a steep learning curve, that fairly few people have a good grasp of the field’s true capability and potential. In this presentation, I will focus on the underlying technologies and what they can realistically deliver. For those people who are new to this field, I will explain the most important basic concepts. For those who are already much farther along, I will also touch on many of the technologies currently being developed and where they may lead. Blockchain is a vast and quickly evolving field. But I will attempt to frame it in terms well suited to cyber-security practitioners and to focus on what they need to know both personally and professionally.
Peter Linder earned his computer engineering degree at MIT.
– For over 20 years he was deeply involved in computer hardware. He designed CPU and memory chips for large semiconductor manufacturers, as well as chipsets and motherboards for PC manufacturers. He founded and led a team of 50 chip designers. He also founded and led a world-wide application support team, gaining expertise in supporting and debugging computer architectures at the hardware, firmware, and OS levels. He met regularly with Fortune-100 computer-related manufacturers in the JEDEC organization setting industry standards, where he received multiple awards for his contributions as Vice-Chairman and Chairman of JEDEC standards engineering committees.
– After becoming involved in cyber-security, Peter earned his CISSP in 2008 and served as chapter president of the ISSA South Texas chapter in 2010. While working in security, Peter became interested in software development, especially in Python and focused on bitcoin and other crypto-currencies.
– In 2015 Peter transitioned full time into his current role as a blockchain technology consultant and developer.
|Company:||Assured Enterprises Inc|
Luncheon Meeting Schedule:
- 11:15 a.m. Registration / Networking
- 11:30 a.m. Luncheon / Networking
- 11:45 a.m. Chapter Business Meeting
- 12:00 noon Keynote Presentation
- 1:00 p.m. Adjourn Luncheon
- Background in Information Security.
- 1 CPE